Page 5
     It was during the year 1925 that Herman DeVry revealed his insight into the future needs of the American educational system. Having watched the development of the motion picture film in America from its inception and having observed the tremendous influence the movies were having on citizens in general. DeVry reasoned that here was a teaching tool of first importance. Early in 1925 he established the DeVry Summer School of Visual Instruction. This school was continued for a number of years, expenses being borne entirely by Herman DeVry. To the school came hundreds of educators and religious leaders to learn what was new and what the future held for motion pictures in education. A staff of instructors was also available to discuss problems which at that time were foremost in the minds of educational leaders looking for new and better teaching methods.
     The third annual session, held June 27th to July 2nd, 1927, at the Parkway Hotel in Chicago, included discussions on such topics as Visual Aids in Church, Y.M.C.A and Community Work; The Literature, Organizations, Sources of Visual Education; Modem Pedagogy Applied to Film Lessons; Motion Pictures in the Business World; The Mechanics of Cinema Photography and Projection; Amateur and Professional Uses of the Movie Camera; State, County and City Centers of Visual Education. The success of this summer school attracted such nationwide attention that eventually the entire project was taken over by a group of interested educators and became what is now known as the "National Conference on Visual Education." Meetings are held every summer in the Chicago area, generally under the name "Midwest Conference on Visual Education."
     During this same year, DeVry started producing a pioneer series of strictly educational films which were made available along with lesson plans or teacher's guides, to schools throughout the nation. Eighty-six reels were produced and had wide distribution.
     From this time until his death, Herman DeVry continued to spend large sums of money on the production and distribution of educational motion pictures. Thus had developed, within the parent company, a department known as DeVry Films and laboratories. This organization produced some of the finest teaching and training films used in American schools. This department also served as distributor for outstanding educational, religious and entertainment films. In addition to films, a wide variety of lantern slides were made available to educational and religious institutions. The plant rapidly outgrew its quarters on North Wells Street and was moved to a new location at 1250 Marianna Street, Chicago. In June of 1923 the new two-storied, modem factory building, located at the corner of Seminary and Armitage Avenues, was occupied by all departments of DeVry Corporation.
     In 1927, DeVry brought out the famous Model G, a 16mm silent movie projector for home, school. church, club and business use. About this time there were also produced a number of pieces of equipment supplementary to the production and projection of motion picture films. A candid, still

page 4Back Home BackPage 6