The Great Winchester Fair

SEPTEMBER 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 1912
Sensational Aeroplane Flights on Wednesday and Thursday.
Three Flights Daily.
Premiums have been increased in all departments,
and the fair this year will far surpass any previous exhibition.
Troop of U. S. Cavalry will camp on grounds and give daily drills.
LADIES' DAYwill be Friday, Sept. 13, and on that day ladies will be admitted to the grandstand free.
  For information address
Winchester, Va.



Winchester, Virginia, Wednesday, September 11, 1912


Aviator Not Badly In-
jured, New Machine

     After making several unsuccessful attempts to fly between 3 and 4 o'clock this afternoon, Aviator William Luckey, of the Curtiss Exhibition Company, of New York, made the first ascension at 4 o'clock, but his engine failed to work properly and when the machine was about 30 feet avove the ground it struck a tree near the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, north of town, and the airshop landed in a cut.
     A telegram was sent to New York at once, ordering a new machine to be rushed at all speed to Winchester, and it is espected to arrive here at noon tomorrow, when the aviation meet will be resumed as scheduled.
     The machine was badly damaged, but Aviator Luckey escaped serious injury.
     One of his knees was badly cut, but he ran to the fair grounds and announced that he did not need the attention of a surgeon.
     There was the wildest excitement on the grounds when it became known that the flight had been ended in the machine being disabled on the ground.
     Mr. Luckey told a reporter for The Star that he knew the engine was not working properly, and that he ws attempting to alight when the machine struck the tree.
Aviator Luckey Goes Up.
     The first flight of the aviation meet held in connection with the fair was to have been made at 12.30 o'clock this afternoon by Aviator William S. Luckey of the Curtiss Exhibition Company, of New York, but something went wrong with the machine and repairs had to be made, delaying the flight for several hours.
     About 4 o'clock, however, the ropes were removed from around the airship enclosure, and the daring birdman took his seat in the machine, signaled for the people to get out of the way, and ascended as gracefully as a bird.
     The grandstand was crowded, and the large infield was also peopled and jammed with people. As Mr. Luckey went up cheer after cheer rent the air. There was a general craning of necks and looking upward upon the part of everyone until it was learned that the aviator had not met with an accident.



Winchester, Virginia, Thursday, September 12, 1912


     Aviator William S. Luckey, whose Curtiss biplane was damaged yesterday when he fell after his engine went "dead" some distance east of the fair grounds, declared today that he would not be content to leave Winchester without making a series of successful flights.
     Extra parts for the machine were received early this morning, and Mr. Luckey and his mechanics got busy at once installing the same. The aviator said that the machine would be in condition to make the first flight about 3 o'clock this afternoon, and that he would make another flight during the afternoon.
     Arrangements are also being made to hold an aviation meet tomorrow on the grounds. Mr. Luckey is game to the limit, and he declared he was determined to go up.
     He could have alighted on the fair grounds yesterday, but feared he would kill many people in doing so. He was endeavouring to alight in a corn field when the machine came down on the railroad track.

BackBack Home