Reading Eagle
Reading, Pennsylvania, August 6, 1912,
from Michael J. Floriani, 7-29-05
      Kolb's Pan-Dandy Day at Carsonia Park today was an unprecedented success. For the first time in the history of Reading a successful aeroplane flight was given. In a Curtiss Biplane, Charles F. Walsh, of New York, a daring aviator, circled above the heads of thousands of people on the field opposite the Carsonia Park Theatre. He gave a splendid exhibition. He repeated his flights during the afternoon.
Frank C. Kolb
        This was the second season for Pan-Dandy Days given by Frank C. Kolb, Reading's successful baker, and it will be repeated on Wednesday. From all indication it promises to be greater than last year. It is estimated that during the morning, 10,000 persons visited the park. This large concourse of people was augmented throughout the day by men, women and children who followed after the noon hour.
      For weeks the youngsters have been saving the Kolb Bread label. They were good for tickets which entitled them to all the amusements at the park. Each ticket allowed the holder to a ride on the miniature railroad, merry-go-round, toboggan, old mill and circle swing, besides ice cream, lemonade and sandwiches,
Some Arrive at 5 A. M.
      The children were eager for today. As early a 5 a. m., some youngsters walked to the park. The Transit Company had an excellent car service. There was no unnecessary crowding. Cars were run at two-minute intervals.
      There was no confusion or delay. For the safety of the traveling public, special watchmen were stationed along the route. At the curve leaving Mt. Penn for the park, a flagman was stationed to prevent the cars crowding. Another employee was stationed at the approch of the cemetery grade, in order to prevent accidents.
Plenty of Music
      The Philharmonic Band of 35 men, under the leadership of Harry E. Fahrbach, was stationed on the band pavilion and furnished a concert programme. The Military Drum Corps played on the field near the Circle Swing. All the amusements were crowded. Special help was needed. No accidents were reported. After the attractions were filled to their capacity, the doors and gates were closed.
Flying Machine the Big Attraction
      The aeroplane was the big attraction. It is a frail looking machine, but ;proved to be perfectly safe . Standing opposite the Whirly-Whirl, it was examined by all. Everyody was eager to see it in the air. Many asked, "Will he go up this morning?" Mr. Walsh arrived on the grunds at 10 a. m. and notified the management he was ready to make a flight.
      It did not take the news long to travel. A score of Kolb's attaches began to rope off the field opposite the theatre. The State Police under Sergeant Ely, moved the crowd back out of danger. During this time Mr. Walsh and his mechanician, Wm. Fell, began to test the machine.
Blades Begin to Whirl
      It was a quarter after 10 o'clock when everything was in readiness. Mr. Walsh operated the steering gear and found it working smoothly. Six men held the machine and Mr. Walsh started the ;propeller. There was an awful roar created by the whirling wooden blades. The people in the rear of the machine were given lots of air. The men and boys held their hats and the women clasped their skirts. The engine was stopped and Mr. Walsh boarded the machine.
Goes Up 1,000 Feet
      Promptly at 10:50 he started his machine. For about 200 feet, it ran along the ground and gradually took to the air. Rising higher and higher he reached an altitude of 1,000 feet in the vicinity of the Carsonia Inn. He then began to turn and circled over the heads of the thousands who looked heavenward.
      The flight was a beauty. A half dozen times he swept over the heads of the people as they gazed in wonderment. It was something new for the thousands in attendance. It was a real sensation. At one time he made a flight out of the sight of the spectators, going in the direction of Reading. Another time he soared along the ridge of the hills at Black Bear, coming back along a straight line over the top of the circle swing.
Cheers for the Aviator
      After 10 minutes in the air, the crowd became enthused. They cheered the daring birdman. So near to the earth was he at one time that he could be seen waving his hand to the crowd. The roaring paddles prevented him from hearing the cheers of those below.
      At one time the machine looked like a huge dragon fly. It was under perfect control of the operator.
Highest Altitude 2,500 Feet.
      With grace and ease he sailed through the air. Sometimes he ahd the aeroplane making arcs, angles, or curving the figure eights. He reached a height of 2,500 feet.
      His left and right hand spirals on descending were thrillers. The former is exceedingly dangerous. The machine looked as though it was going to upset. After sweeping the field in a wide circle, he came back to his starting point. Scores rushed to congratulate him. During the flight, the Philharmonic Band played a number of selections including "Home Sweet Home." The llight lasted 18 minutes.
Someone suggested that Mr. Kolb make a trip. Mr. Kolb replied: "I must be here tomorrow to pay bills." There is only room for the operator. The machine used by Mr. Walsh has been in all parts of the United States. The canvas is covered with autographs of many persons. It wieght 100 pounds and is driven by a 60-horsepower engine.
Rush for the Amusements
      After the flight there was a rush for the amusements and refreshment booths. Thousands of jelly sandwiches were distributed. A sandwich consisted of two slices of Pan-Dandy bread and a lot of cherry or peach jam. Ice cream cones were eagerly consumed. Wm. Fair, of the Quality Ice Cream Company, had charge of the ice cream and lemonade. He had 3,000 gallons of cream. Ten boxes of lemons, 1,000 pounds of ice and 1,200 pounds of sugar were used for the lemonade
Information and Hospital Tents
      The safety and comfort of the children is well provided for. An information tent was erected in charge of Lester Boltz. The hospital tent is in charge of Dr. James R. Gerhard and Miss Elva Meyer, a graduate nurse from Medico-Chi hospital, Philadelphia. But one case was treated. Charles Edwards, 10 years old, suffered from a bee sting.
     H. G. Shoenberger is in charge of the lost children's tent. Over a dozen youngsters were lost. They were seated on a bench and fed ice cream and sandwiches until the parents called for them.
     Arthur A. Fink is one of the active workers and has charge of the athletic events. He rendered efficient service. Owing to the aeroplane flight, the programme of sports was postponed until in the afternoon.
     In the vicinity of the lake, the Leuken dog and pony circus and vaudeville show attracted attention, The Emilie Sisters, double trapeze performers. Charles McIntyre, equilibriet; West Bros., a comedy revolving ladder team, all made hits.
     Mr. Kolb, whose generosity is responsible for Pan-Dandy Day, was in charge. He was assisted by Malcolm Farrow and J. T. Good. The sandwiches are in charge of Landis Boltz. These others are assisting: Luther Suppee, H. S. Eckels, Landis Boltz, Charles Morrison, Charles Steckoine, Herbert Schoenberger, Robert Musser, Elmer Dilfield, Irvin Althouse, John Blieler, Adam Becker, Frank Phillips and Park Sholley.
     Sergeant Ely, of the State Police, had these privates under him: Messrs. Banks, Harcoirote, DeHaven , Kautz and Miller.
     Pan-Dandy Day will be continued Wednesday. One of the State Police found a purse containing 10 cents.
     While hauling provisions to Carsonia Park, one of Kolb's bakery teams broke down on Ninth street near Court. The rear axle snapped off near the hub of the right wheel.
     The flight of the Curtiss aeroplane was visible in the city. It circled in the vicinity of the Pagoda. Mr. Walsh said he saw the city. He reported no air currents until after he reached the mountains.

BackBacki Home