45,000 PEOPLE AT


. Reading Eagle
Reading, Pennsylvania, August 8, 1912,
from Michael J. Floriani, 7-29-05
      Kolb's Pan-Dandy days are a thing of the past.
     The memories of those two eventful days, featured with aeroplane flights, will linger long in the minds of the grown-up folks. To the chiildren, the ice cream cones, free lemonade and rides on the miniature railway, circle swing, merry-go-round will always be delightful recollections. It is estimated that 45,000 persons visited the park.
     The second day was the best. It was quite a contrast to the close last season. The weather conditions were ideal compared with the rainy and chilly atmosphere a year ago.
     Nearly 30,000 people visited Carsonia on Wednesday afternoon. Everybody was bent on having a look at the aeroplane. Thousands had seen the daring aviator, Charles F. Walsh, circle over the city in his Curtiss biplane. They saw him glide through the air thousands of feet above the earth. They noticed him descend behind the mountains. It aroused their curiosity. They wanted to touch the machine, examine the parts, take a look at the birdman and see the start of a flight.
     It was an ideal day for an outing. Men, women and children flocked to the park. Excellent car service was furnished by the transit company. No mishaps were reported in handling the large throng of humanity. The crowded cars en route to the park were an advertisement in themselves. It was an incentive for others to make the journey and see what was going on. In this way, the crowd became larger and larger.
     It was an orderly concourse. While the State Police patrolled the park, no arrests were made. The aviation field was the mecca of thousands. It was roped off early in the afternoon. This move was a good one, as little difficulty was experienced at the time of the trips to keep an open space.
Splendid Flights.
     Aviator Walsh, one of Curtiss'sensational airmen, made two splendid flights. The first was from 4:18 to 4:35 p. m. It lasted 17 minutes. His final and farewell exhibition started at 6: p. m. The duration of this was 17 minutes. The best height was 2,540 feet.
     The scene on the aviation field for the first flight in the afternoon was a magnificent one. Mr. Walsh's face beamed with smiles as he viewed the surging mass of humanity that formed a wide circle around the field.
     Everybody gazed in the direction of the machine,. Mr. Walsh received an ovation. There was no unnecessary delay. The engine was quickly tested. Mr. Walsh then mounted the seat. The mighty 60-horsepower engine began to send forth its buzzing noies. The propeller started, cutting the air with a deafening roar. Suddenly Mr. Walsh threw out his hands and the men holding the machine released it. Swiftly along the ground the biplane moved and then steadily took the air. After rising about 1,000 feet he made a circle around the field. He then ascended heavenward until about 1,500 feet was reached. Suddenly he began to circle in spirals, making six or seven drops by easy stages. The people looked on in astonishment. Some turned their heads, thinking he was going to fall.
Resembled a Boat Ride.
     Mr. Walsh had perfect control of the biplane at all times. To many it seemed very easy to fly. At one time he rode above the heads of the gazing throng as though he was in a boat tossed up and down by waves. It was beautiful to behold. Another time he went beyond the circle swing and on returning swooped down to the center of the field and then sailed heavenward again. Cheers rent the air. On several occasions he waved his hands to those below, which helped to stir the enthusiasm of the spectators.
     Mr. Walsh's starts and finishes were perfect. He made no attempt for height. His object was to satisfy the crowd at the park. Arthur Fink announced when Mr. Walsh was performing several spiral glides that he was executing the Turkey Trot. At times the machine was almost perpendicular. Many stood in fear thinking he had lost control.
Women Congratulate Him.
     On his return to earth everybody flocked on the field. The aviator was carried off of his feet by the enthusiasts. The State Police came to his rescue. Everybody wanted to congratulate him. Women grasped his hand and welcomed him back to safety. Men fought with each other to touch the machine. Mr. Walsh was the coolest of all. He reluctantly accepted the honors bestowed upon him. The aviator walked off the field in company with the newspapermen and enjoyed an ice cream cone.
     The final flight at 6 o'clock was another beauty. He duplicated his stunts for the benefit of the late comers. Figure eights and large circles, dips and angles of all sorts were performed. It took him two years to master the details,. Mr. Walsh left this morning for New York to join his wife and family.
Praised For His Generosity.
     In the evening, on the streets, the flights were the talk of the town. Everyhbody was speaking highly of Mr. Kolb for his generosity. It was something new for Reading. The name Kolb was on the tongues of thousands. The popular baker gave the citizens something new. Something they had heard and read a lot about but never witnessed before.
Athletic Events.
     All the athletic events in charge of Arthur A. Fink were interesting.
     The watermelon earing contest was very amusing. Chester Solanski won the match. He defeated such professionals and Harvey Geiger and "Hungry Bill."
     In the apple bobbing event George Meek, Thomas Shartle and Louis Morris each secured an apple. Each received a knife for a prize.
     The other events:
     100-yard dash for boys, Daniel Harner, prize, watch.
     50-yard dash for boys under 10, Thomas Hugh, watch.
     100-yard dash for boys under 12, John Martz, watch.
     Grocers' race, George Kurtz, silver cup.
     In the nail driving contest, Grace Solanski won a watch.
     The men's race, 50 yardss, was won by William Tiernan, 60 years old. He received a watch. Daniel F. Logan and J. C. Anderson tied for second place. Each received a knife.
     Mr4s. Wickel, wife of Officer Wickel, won the silver cup offered as a prize in the married women's race. Mrs. Slonaker was second and received a watch. There were 14 entries.
     25-yard dash for girls under five, Erma Strohecker, parasol.
     Twenty-five yard dash for girls under 10, Thelma Graeff, parasol.
     50-yard dash, open for girls, Mary Schortheimer, of Pottstown, watch.
Lost Tots Cared For.
     The lost children's tent was an animated place throughout the day. The crying youngsters who strayed away from their parents were well taken care of. Everything was done to keep the tots in good humor until their parents called for them. It attracted lots of attention.
     There was a tremendous rush for ice cream. The Quality Company, 202 Clay street, served 3,000 gallons ..............

BackBacki Home